1) Ride the Wallowa Lake Tramway and enjoy the views of 3 different states once you reach the top. Hike the over 2 miles of trails or dive into their Razorback Burger and top it off with the mountain berry cobbler and huckleberry ice cream from the Summit Grill at the top!
2) Rent a paddle board and/or kayak from Coy who will deliver your vessel to your rental home. Enjoy a whole day rental on the lake for what most pay for 1/2 day. Take your time paddling around the lake on YOUR time frame instead of being rushed to fit it all in.
3) Visit the Mt Pines Adventure golf, Candy Shack, Matterhorn Gift Shop, Scoops Ice Cream all located in the resort community of Wallowa Lake.
4) Visit the shops in downtown Joseph Oregon! Purchase a pair of Old Gringos from Tempting Teal Boutique, try one of the delicious turtles from Arrowhead Chocolates or visit with the folks at Sports Corral to find out what is the popular bait with the fish.
5) Experience the Eagle Cap Wilderness with your guide Brian from the Wallowa Lake Pack Station. Let Brian and his crew of knowledgeable wranglers and trusty steeds take you into the mountains on 2 hour, half day, or all day horse rides.
6) See why James of 6 Ranch Fly Fishing firmly believes that “I’ve never regretted a day spent fly fishing and I suspect neither will you.”. Fish the same private owned and managed waters that has been in his family for 5 generations.
7) Visit Terminal Gravity. Experience their locally brewed beer perfectly coupled with anything on their delicious menu. A personal favorite is the Eagle Cap IPA and the baked mac and cheese. To. Die. For!
8) Throw calories to the wind for Sunday morning donuts at Vali’s! Worth every bite because these aren’t your normal store bought donuts….these are tender….crisp exterior. Flaky goodness. Bet get your order in early, because each donut is lovingly made by Michael and Dionne and people aren’t afraid to stand in line to get them.
9) Hike Iwetemlaykin State Heritage Site. It’s 62 acres of perfection. Easy hikes for all types will take you by Knight’s Pond, by a small running stream and lush meadows. Wildlife are naturally attracted to this sweet spot, so keep an eye out you may see birds, foxes, and lots of deer.
10) Take in one of our many events in our county. The opportunities are diverse. Hells Canyon Mule Days one weekend, Juniper Jam the next. Chief Joseph Days Rodeo one weekend, Quilt show the next. Your time spent in Wallowa County is what you make of it. Rest/Relax or Visit/Partake. Regardless of how you spend it, you will never be sorry for life to just slow down a bit.